Here is a recap of the main moments of the past few weeks.
I was inspired when I went to the grocery store and bought some veggies and two mangoes. Tom didn't care for eating mangoes on its own while I grew up eating them as an after dinner treat in the summer. So I improvised and made a mango salsa topping for grilled chicken, with a bonus of using cilantro from the balcony garden. Tom absolutely loved it. I also had some Brussels sprouts and spinach on hand so I made a maple and bacon Brussels sprouts and creamed spinach.
And just like that my inspiration went away. I barely cooked last week, we had grilled cheese one night for supper, french toast on another and I'm sure I skipped dinner altogether on some days.
This weekend was a bit better. Tom was super excited when we opened a wedding gift that came last week. Why? Because it was a dehydrator/jerky maker. So that's what we did on Friday night, make beef jerky. I don't think that we have any left.
Memorial weekend was quiet for the most part - Tom put in a lot of hours which meant that we couldn't go camping. I took it easy, finished thank you cards, and did a few chores around the house. Tom declared that it isn't a holiday weekend without grilling and he made the most delicious steaks that I ever had. Our pepper plants are already producing although they are very mild. Tom stuffed them with sour cream, wrapped them in foil, and on the grill they went. He was also craving his mom's pickled cucumber, and Laurie was very kind to provide Grandma Skemp's recipe.
We also found out that something was wrong with my car, she's getting old (I got a new radiator put in yesterday). One of our water bottles in our emergency kit broke without our knowledge and a gallon later we had dripping water in our entry way. We were glad that our landlords live right next to us - Tom went and got them and they said that there were no water pipes in that spot. Crisis averted.
I was inspired when I went to the grocery store and bought some veggies and two mangoes. Tom didn't care for eating mangoes on its own while I grew up eating them as an after dinner treat in the summer. So I improvised and made a mango salsa topping for grilled chicken, with a bonus of using cilantro from the balcony garden. Tom absolutely loved it. I also had some Brussels sprouts and spinach on hand so I made a maple and bacon Brussels sprouts and creamed spinach.
This weekend was a bit better. Tom was super excited when we opened a wedding gift that came last week. Why? Because it was a dehydrator/jerky maker. So that's what we did on Friday night, make beef jerky. I don't think that we have any left.
Memorial weekend was quiet for the most part - Tom put in a lot of hours which meant that we couldn't go camping. I took it easy, finished thank you cards, and did a few chores around the house. Tom declared that it isn't a holiday weekend without grilling and he made the most delicious steaks that I ever had. Our pepper plants are already producing although they are very mild. Tom stuffed them with sour cream, wrapped them in foil, and on the grill they went. He was also craving his mom's pickled cucumber, and Laurie was very kind to provide Grandma Skemp's recipe.
We also found out that something was wrong with my car, she's getting old (I got a new radiator put in yesterday). One of our water bottles in our emergency kit broke without our knowledge and a gallon later we had dripping water in our entry way. We were glad that our landlords live right next to us - Tom went and got them and they said that there were no water pipes in that spot. Crisis averted.

If you can send me some of the cooking inspiration please do :)
ReplyDelete