And I think I may be an inspired cook again.
It had been a while since we cooked at the house due to wedding leftovers and then my short work trip to DC. While I was there though, I went to this little Afghan restaurant close to the hotel and had some very tasty food (it was very similar to Pakistani food or a milder version of Indian food). I had their pumpkin dish and something that was very to lamb biryani but sweeter.
This weekend we celebrated our first anniversary; we started with red velvet cake and champagne, exchanged gifts, then saw Iron Man 3. Tom insisted on IMAX 3D. It was a great action flick. The plan was to have dinner at Cajun Steamer, which has decent Cajun food but with a 35 minute wait, we turned around and tried Southern Legacy BBQ and Brew. It was inexpensive and good. Tom had spicy wings (which were really spicy) and I had a burger (which was a bit overdone and dry). Their Southern Belle cocktail was very yummy and Tom liked their beer selection.
On Sunday we decided that we needed to eat healthier so I stocked up on some basic veggies. Sunday night I tried a recipe from the Bon Appetit cookbook from the Drankas (flank steak salad with shallots dressing) and a potato au gratin from Jacques Pepin. I did modify the recipe for the flank steak since I didn't have the full amount of red wine vinegar or shallots. I also had spinach on hand, and thought that maybe some tomatoes and homemade croutons would add a little something.
Then last night I made mushroom and shrimp orzo - the recipe from allrecipes called for a whole stick of butter but I thought that was overkill. But I liked that instead of the typical pasta recipe where you cook the pasta and strain, you actually use water and white wine and let it absorb, almost like a risotto. Served with some spinach and choice of dressing.
I miss an herb garden because these dishes would have been so much better with some cilantro or parsley. Maybe this will be a project for this weekend. Anyways, here is to more cooking, I hope!
It had been a while since we cooked at the house due to wedding leftovers and then my short work trip to DC. While I was there though, I went to this little Afghan restaurant close to the hotel and had some very tasty food (it was very similar to Pakistani food or a milder version of Indian food). I had their pumpkin dish and something that was very to lamb biryani but sweeter.
| Kadu Buranee: Sautéed pumpkin with garlic yogurt and meat sauce |
This weekend we celebrated our first anniversary; we started with red velvet cake and champagne, exchanged gifts, then saw Iron Man 3. Tom insisted on IMAX 3D. It was a great action flick. The plan was to have dinner at Cajun Steamer, which has decent Cajun food but with a 35 minute wait, we turned around and tried Southern Legacy BBQ and Brew. It was inexpensive and good. Tom had spicy wings (which were really spicy) and I had a burger (which was a bit overdone and dry). Their Southern Belle cocktail was very yummy and Tom liked their beer selection.
On Sunday we decided that we needed to eat healthier so I stocked up on some basic veggies. Sunday night I tried a recipe from the Bon Appetit cookbook from the Drankas (flank steak salad with shallots dressing) and a potato au gratin from Jacques Pepin. I did modify the recipe for the flank steak since I didn't have the full amount of red wine vinegar or shallots. I also had spinach on hand, and thought that maybe some tomatoes and homemade croutons would add a little something.
Then last night I made mushroom and shrimp orzo - the recipe from allrecipes called for a whole stick of butter but I thought that was overkill. But I liked that instead of the typical pasta recipe where you cook the pasta and strain, you actually use water and white wine and let it absorb, almost like a risotto. Served with some spinach and choice of dressing.
I miss an herb garden because these dishes would have been so much better with some cilantro or parsley. Maybe this will be a project for this weekend. Anyways, here is to more cooking, I hope!

No comments:
Post a Comment