The line between work and vacation has become increasing blurry. From the time I defended until I start my new position, we'll say that I have 6 weeks of "vacation".
In Week 1, I had to review a manuscript - which was such an awesome experience. Plus Dr. P offered guidance on how to review manuscripts.
I also started to work on a review paper that focuses on my next area of research/next lab. I'm getting used to the lingo.
In between these assignments, I spent some time in Austin. Here is my niece (cousin's daugher), who likes cadeaux (gifts in French) but as mentioned in another post, amazes me at her language skills (English, French and German).
I left the big state of Texas on December 25, headed towards the dairy heaven of La Crosse, Wisconsin. Here we are, with Tom's parents, at Buzzard Billy's, which has better Cajun food than Birmingham. This is my must-go place when in La Crosse.
Not much work was done in Week 2. Tom, Laurie (Tom's mom) and I went to a Packer game on January 1 in Green Bay. Tom bought us tickets as his Christmas gift. Kick off temperature was 35 F. It snowed during the fourth quarter, quite heavily at times. I wore ski pants for the first time. It was great to see Matt Flynn (former LSU player) to play the entire game and set new records for the team.
We headed back to La Crosse on Jan 2, and watched more football from the cozy family room complete with a fireplace. I had a great time in Texas and Wisconsin.
Now begins Week 3. We got back to Birmingham late Wednesday night. I have to wrap up a few experiments, including an 18-hour one. Plus shopping. Plus cleaning, everything, from vents to baseboards. Ooohh, and a much anticipated game on Monday night.
Week 4 will be marked by the arrival of my sister! woot woot!
Week 5 will be rushed to finish the review.
Week 6 will probably involve huge to do list, cleaning and organizing. Did I mention that during weeks 1-3, I have been jotting down/drawing new house projects? More on this later.
In Week 1, I had to review a manuscript - which was such an awesome experience. Plus Dr. P offered guidance on how to review manuscripts.
I also started to work on a review paper that focuses on my next area of research/next lab. I'm getting used to the lingo.
In between these assignments, I spent some time in Austin. Here is my niece (cousin's daugher), who likes cadeaux (gifts in French) but as mentioned in another post, amazes me at her language skills (English, French and German).
I left the big state of Texas on December 25, headed towards the dairy heaven of La Crosse, Wisconsin. Here we are, with Tom's parents, at Buzzard Billy's, which has better Cajun food than Birmingham. This is my must-go place when in La Crosse.
Not much work was done in Week 2. Tom, Laurie (Tom's mom) and I went to a Packer game on January 1 in Green Bay. Tom bought us tickets as his Christmas gift. Kick off temperature was 35 F. It snowed during the fourth quarter, quite heavily at times. I wore ski pants for the first time. It was great to see Matt Flynn (former LSU player) to play the entire game and set new records for the team.
We headed back to La Crosse on Jan 2, and watched more football from the cozy family room complete with a fireplace. I had a great time in Texas and Wisconsin.
Now begins Week 3. We got back to Birmingham late Wednesday night. I have to wrap up a few experiments, including an 18-hour one. Plus shopping. Plus cleaning, everything, from vents to baseboards. Ooohh, and a much anticipated game on Monday night.
Week 4 will be marked by the arrival of my sister! woot woot!
Week 5 will be rushed to finish the review.
Week 6 will probably involve huge to do list, cleaning and organizing. Did I mention that during weeks 1-3, I have been jotting down/drawing new house projects? More on this later.

No comments:
Post a Comment