Saturday, December 17, 2011

Oh what fun it is to...

be Ph.inishe.D :)

I had my defense yesterday, and my parents were able to participate via Skype. It's amazing what technology can do.
We celebrated starting at 4:30 pm at the J. Clyde with Paula, then Tom joined, and gradually our friends joined in the fun too. We had such a blast!
Today has been a day on the couch even though I have so much stuff to do. Main reason: we got home at around 2 am (we were responsible to walk home from the bar). At 5 am I woke up and heard running water. I remembered in my half-asleep state that neither the dishwasher nor the washer was running, and wondered if we had left the tap on in the kitchen. Oh no, we didn't. The water inlet hose/pipe that connects to the freezer for the ice maker broke, and there was at least an inch of water in our flooded kitchen! Years of dealing with this stuff in Student Housing had me react - turn the water off and then call someone (in that case, I shouted from the kitchen to wake up Tom, who called the landlord). We used about a dozen bath towels, which didn't even make a dent in mopping the water. Fortunately the landlord came within 20 minutes of the call and brought his wet vac. Two hours later, no more standing water and we went back to bed.

Fortunately, we have a washer and a dryer in the house, so today Tom was washing towels, while I was recuperating (I may have had one too many beers). Fortunately, there's a stump in the doorway between the kitchen and the living room. Otherwise our living room would have been flooded and our electronics would have been fried. Fortunately, I woke up when I did - this would have been a disaster if it had happened when we were at work or out of town. Fortunately, our landlord lives next door and he had a wet vac (and he also came to fix the pipe in the afternoon). While it was bad, it could have been worse, a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment