Well, not officially until June 21 but might as well be.
We had a low-key Memorial weekend. Saturday morning, we went to the farmer's market and were somewhat disappointed - there were radishes, squash, and a few tomatoes. Maybe some peaches. I think the winter is to blame. We tried Vittoria Macelleria, a new Italian restaurant that cures and ages their own meats. Their house sausage biscuit is to die for. We also caught an early showing of the new X-men movie, which was really good. For other meals throughout the weekend, Tom grilled some brats and sausages, we had corn on the cob, and a broccoli salad. I also made crockpot ribs that were just delicious.
Other happenings: I finished cousin Carolyn's baby blanket (32 inches by 28 inches) with a lot of help from Kelly (thanks for hosting craft nights!). I hope that baby Lillian gets a lot of use out of her blanket.
On Friday, Kelly and I went out to lunch (yummy Indian food) and made plans to hang out that night as well, since her cubs were playing our brewers. Tom had to work late, but we tried this new bar called Paramount and then went to On Tap to watch the game. Colm had joined us and so did Tom once he was done with lab. Saturday, Kelly and I co-hosted book club (loved the book Poisonous Science which turned out to have been written by a former UAB department chair, Henry J. Forman). Kelly offered her house and I brought fixings for a baked potato bar. Sunday was spent cleaning the house, I mean deep cleaning, and working on a new baby boy blanket. Kelly told me about a granny square pattern, which turns out to be super easy and quick (hopefully I did it correctly).
On Tuesday, while contemplating what to do with leftover baked sweet potato from book club, I came across a recipe for sweet potato muffins (with a glaze, which didn't really look like a glaze in my version). I guess they were good, since I brought the whole thing to work on Wednesday morning and by the afternoon, they were all gone. I also pickled the radishes that Tom had picked out at the farmer's market but didn't have a chance to eat.
That is all for now. Thanks for stopping by.
We had a low-key Memorial weekend. Saturday morning, we went to the farmer's market and were somewhat disappointed - there were radishes, squash, and a few tomatoes. Maybe some peaches. I think the winter is to blame. We tried Vittoria Macelleria, a new Italian restaurant that cures and ages their own meats. Their house sausage biscuit is to die for. We also caught an early showing of the new X-men movie, which was really good. For other meals throughout the weekend, Tom grilled some brats and sausages, we had corn on the cob, and a broccoli salad. I also made crockpot ribs that were just delicious.
Other happenings: I finished cousin Carolyn's baby blanket (32 inches by 28 inches) with a lot of help from Kelly (thanks for hosting craft nights!). I hope that baby Lillian gets a lot of use out of her blanket.
| This one gives you an actual feel for the colors |
On Friday, Kelly and I went out to lunch (yummy Indian food) and made plans to hang out that night as well, since her cubs were playing our brewers. Tom had to work late, but we tried this new bar called Paramount and then went to On Tap to watch the game. Colm had joined us and so did Tom once he was done with lab. Saturday, Kelly and I co-hosted book club (loved the book Poisonous Science which turned out to have been written by a former UAB department chair, Henry J. Forman). Kelly offered her house and I brought fixings for a baked potato bar. Sunday was spent cleaning the house, I mean deep cleaning, and working on a new baby boy blanket. Kelly told me about a granny square pattern, which turns out to be super easy and quick (hopefully I did it correctly).
On Tuesday, while contemplating what to do with leftover baked sweet potato from book club, I came across a recipe for sweet potato muffins (with a glaze, which didn't really look like a glaze in my version). I guess they were good, since I brought the whole thing to work on Wednesday morning and by the afternoon, they were all gone. I also pickled the radishes that Tom had picked out at the farmer's market but didn't have a chance to eat.
That is all for now. Thanks for stopping by.

The baby blanket is beautiful.
ReplyDelete