Friday, June 20, 2014

Happy Friday

I just got back from an invigorating conference in Crystal City, VA. I will post more on this later.
On my flight back to Birmingham from DC, yes, Senator Shelby was on the plane, but so was one of Tom's friends, Robert. He was returning from a job interview at the NIH. What stayed with me, is that he said there was a bear on the NIH campus.
Now, you may know that I love bears. I might have been a bear scientist in a former life or will be one in my next career. So I googled NIH bear and there he was. Cute as a button.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/06/19/bear-spotted-in-rockville/

What makes me really happy and absolutely totally made my day, was that NIH bear has his own twitter account, which I have been following. His tweets are hilarious and reveals flaws and challenges in scientific studies and the dire funding situation, all in a light mood and in language that everyone can understand. This is an example of social media done right. Check him out: https://twitter.com/NIH_Bear

Some of my favorite tweets: 

:
These soccer players flop like a tranq'd bear from a tree.

Don't want to ? Teach *your* children to vomit honey.

Look humans, it's simple: no bees = no honey. But also no flowers. No herbivorous sexual reproduction. No fruit.

Sigh. There's no room at for a soft-money bear. I should have gone to medical school.

I admit, ending an IACUC protocol with "And then we eat the rats," has been.. challenging to get approved.

Wait, , you're rescinding the faculty offer? I wasn't sure, but then you had me shot, drugged, and dragged away. Typical admin.

I disrupted the for 5 hours an all I got was this lousy R03. Can't run a Bear-lab on R03s!

Also very glad that has a major initiative. Because after today, I am sporting some Traumatic Bear Injuries.

You know how that radioactive spider bit that dude and then he was all spidery? Well tranq darts are *not* like that.
 
Jennifer Victor said: Signs you're a social scientist: has better CV than you. (S)he's in sciencemagazine , washingtonpost news.sciencemag.org/scientific-com

No comments:

Post a Comment