Thursday, June 26, 2014

Crafting lately

First off, Happy Anniversary to an awesome couple: Grandpa and Grandma Gass are celebrating 60 years of marriage. We are sorry that we can't be there to celebrate with you but we are thinking about you!

Second, happy happy birthday to Angie, my BFF in high school. It sucks that we live on different continents (she lives in Australia) and don't get to see each other as often as we would like. Thinking of you and sending you lots of wishes for a fabulous year ahead! 

Here are a few craft updates, or what happens when Tom isn't around and the Brewers are on:
After taking 6 weeks to make the first baby blanket for Carolyn, I decided to tackle one for cousin Valerie, who is expecting a boy. I had dragged Tom to Hancock Fabrics and asked him to choose a yarn color. He picked this variegated blue. Kelly suggested a granny square pattern. I started and finished, or so I thought. I can be a little bit of a perfectionist and there was no doubt that something was wrong. The corners were running away from me and it would not fold into a perfect square. So I panicked and did the best that I could: emailed Kelly and asked her to look at it to figure out what I did wrong. So apparently, I didn't know how to double crochet. Fair enough. So I had to restart the blanket, which is interesting because I had to restart Carolyn's blanket a couple of times too. Maybe one day, I will just make a blanket without having to start over again. Anyways, armed with crochet hook, I started over. It took me right under 4 days.
Here is the final product:

Just to get an idea of the actual colors

Other craft projects:
Kelly's birthday was an awesome event. We had so much fun (see previous post). Since we craft together amongst other things, I decided to craft a gift. Her favorite team are the Iowa Hawkeyes, colors: black and yellow. I brought this flower arrangement in a Hawkeye painted vase (as well as dinner at her favorite restaurant and a gift card to her favorite yarn store):

It can be used for flowers, corks, bottle caps, or whatever the heart fancies.

Melanie's birthday shower was this past Saturday (again, see previous post), and she got a diaper cake (made with diapers and wipes) and a gift card. I also learned to crochet a flower which went on top of the cake.Yes, that is the Brewer's game in the background.
Post-tulle
Pre-tulle














I started another baby blanket with left over yarn. I have to figure out who it will go to. After this, I want to learn a new stitch, and maybe venture into making garments. We'll see.



2 comments:

  1. Yes the vase is lovely, so I just need some more flowers to put in it HAHAHA. Thanks for the awesome birthday fun, I did get your thank you card returned to me so I'll just had deliver it the next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kajal,
    Love the blue baby blanket and all of the crafts that you design.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete