This past weekend we were able to get away: a great 10 mile hike, beautiful Fall colors, and low temperatures. We have been waiting for good hiking conditions and this weekend was it. It was about 55 degrees when we hiked in. I had to wear a top base layer and my hat to keep my ears warm. We were amazed that our hilly hike took us about 2.5 hours with barely any breaks. We usually take about 3-4 breaks, taking our packs off, but not this weekend. So either the hike was easier or somehow we increased our endurance. We found a good camping site and started a fire. It was wonderful to warm up by it since it was in the mid 30s at night.
The hike out was a different story. It was warmer (mid 60s). We didn't stop but were considerably slower. The last 30 minutes were exhausting - we were so glad when we saw the last creek (about 15 mins from the trailhead) and the bridge to the car.
Other highlights: We saw deer tracks and saw what looked like rooting from a pig. So Tom did a quick recap on how to react to a wild pig. I also had my first roasted marshmallow. Not a fan. There will not be s'mores at the wedding. We also had chicken teriyaki with rice from Mountain High (previously cooked, dried camping food) for the first time. It was super yummy! On Sunday morning, I got up earlier than Tom (as usual). I went to get water, boiled it, made tea and another dried camping meal (beef stew, not all that good), and started the fire. I am feeling more comfortable in the wild, especially since I also set up the tent this time. I'm still not as good as Tom at gathering wood, telling time/how much daylight is left, and differentiating trails.
We also met a black lab at the trailhead - her owners weren't around but she still was very playful and wanted to play fetch. We saw another family going on a hike at the trailhead and they took her with them, hoping to find her family on the trail.
It surprising how fast time flies. This past weekend, one year ago, Tom proposed.
Here is the link to the Facebook pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101736476040125.3114817.23413201&type=1&l=6134cc1cd2
The hike out was a different story. It was warmer (mid 60s). We didn't stop but were considerably slower. The last 30 minutes were exhausting - we were so glad when we saw the last creek (about 15 mins from the trailhead) and the bridge to the car.
Other highlights: We saw deer tracks and saw what looked like rooting from a pig. So Tom did a quick recap on how to react to a wild pig. I also had my first roasted marshmallow. Not a fan. There will not be s'mores at the wedding. We also had chicken teriyaki with rice from Mountain High (previously cooked, dried camping food) for the first time. It was super yummy! On Sunday morning, I got up earlier than Tom (as usual). I went to get water, boiled it, made tea and another dried camping meal (beef stew, not all that good), and started the fire. I am feeling more comfortable in the wild, especially since I also set up the tent this time. I'm still not as good as Tom at gathering wood, telling time/how much daylight is left, and differentiating trails.
We also met a black lab at the trailhead - her owners weren't around but she still was very playful and wanted to play fetch. We saw another family going on a hike at the trailhead and they took her with them, hoping to find her family on the trail.
It surprising how fast time flies. This past weekend, one year ago, Tom proposed.
Here is the link to the Facebook pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101736476040125.3114817.23413201&type=1&l=6134cc1cd2

No comments:
Post a Comment