Saturday, March 31, 2012

March recap

It's been a while since I posted, so it's only fitting to do a recap of March.
In the kitchen: For our St. Patrick's Day and green food lab potluck, I made green mac and cheese:

There was a pork roast in the slow cooker, served with bbq sauce, mashed potatoes, and salad

We found a new Cajun place in Hoover, The Cajun Cleaver. It's a butcher's shop that also sells frozen Cajun dishes. We had their shrimp and corn soup (terrible burnt smell, didn't bother Tom too much), crawfish etouffee (it was spicy rather than flavorful, but overall okay), boudin link (the ratio of rice to other ingredients was off), and Andouille sausage (that was good). Overall verdict, La Crosse still has better Cajun food than Birmingham).

I had one apple and one overripe banana that needed to be used. I also had pie dough in the freezer, so I made mini pies. Banana pie is something from home that I love. Home version: cook banana with sugar until black, use in pie filling. My version, mix banana with lemon juice and brown sugar, use in pie filling. The added bonus, the small pies (there were 6 total) were perfect to pack for lunch.










 St. Patrick's Day: we were out and about that night, which is unusual for us home bodies.

Last weekend, I took a quick trip up to Nashville to visit BFF Susie Beth and her family. This was the first time that I saw their newly bought house, and I loved Julia's (their 19 month old adorable baby) company. It was really nice to catch up with Susie and her hubby. I left Nashville, energized and inspired (we did a lot of brainstorming for the wedding).



Feeding the ducks and the geese with Julia






This past Friday was the defense deadline for students graduating in May, so the week was full of public defense meeting, including Melissa (from Tom's lab), who defended on Thursday. Congratulations! Woot woot!

On Wednesday, I had this stomach bug that made me pretty useless that day. I was tired for the rest of the week, and have been caught falling asleep on the couch every now and then.  I even took a nap on Friday, even though it was Tom's birthday. Being sick meant that I didn't have a gift ready for Tom :( I made it up by being his chauffeur on Friday. We first stopped by the store to get his gift (a very good bottle), then to Best Buy, and finally (after trying several stores that had 20-30 minutes wait time) Buffalo Wild Wings.

I was able to run a few errands this morning. I bought detergent and CVS-brand Pepto for $1.46. I like savings like that. I just clipped all my coupons, something that I hadn't done for a few weeks. After this post, I will be doing our meal plan for the week. I'm also hoping to post our past months budget early next week.

Ooohh! We also got an amazing surprise on Friday!! We can't wait to try it. It's going to be hard to save this Saison for our anniversary. 

Hope y'alls March was great! 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment