Saturday, August 6, 2011

Recap

After our huge shopping trip to Costco last month, we been eating mostly at home. We had stocked up on ground turkey, pork chops, chicken, stir fry veggies, pasta, and canned tomatoes. So there are so many possibilities, including taco pizza, with homemade crust, ground turkey, refried beans, peppers, olives, chiles, and cheese and Sweet and sour pork - first time I made this from scratch.

Taco pizza!
Taco pizza from the top










I made Scotcheroos this Thursday for Tom's lab meeting. It's a peanut butter rice krispies treat with a butterscotch chocolate topping. It is one of Tom's favorites and I found out about it while talking to his Aunt Kate in Boston. Ms. Laurie was nice to send me her recipe, and it turned out to be super yummy! I really liked that I had been given plenty of notice of the upcoming lab meeting, so I could wait for deals on the ingredients (even got gluten-free rice krispies on sale + coupon; we use crunchy/extra crunchy peanut butter, and I found a good deal on the creamy kind, while still keeping my brand loyalty). I was a bit worried because I had never cooked with corn syrup, but it all worked out.
Usually I don't get to taste lab treats, but we made an exception this time :)
We went to Matt and Melissa's wedding. Matt was a former lab mate of Tom's (they are also soccer buddies), and Melissa is currently in Tom's lab. Scottish Chris, who was staying with us for the wedding, wore his kilt. I also met Rob, who was a former postdoc/instructor in Tom's lab. It was a beautiful wedding and we had a great time.


Science has been going well for the most part, I'm nearly done with my second paper. The first paper was accepted, and I'm on track to graduate this semester.

I'm excited about football season starting! I can't wait to start cheering for my Tigers again, and having people over for Packers game. We are also playing with the idea of Football Sunday - grab the morning paper, and go to our favorite hangout, watch football, read, and drink.

I'm also excited about planning our trips this fall. Since the Packers are the current Superbowl champions, their ticket prices are super high, about 5x more than what they were last year. We have our eyes on the Falcons and the Panthers. We are also going to Orange Beach later in the fall for a wedding (I found a nice hat today on sale!), and I can't believe that I haven't been back to Louisiana for almost two years now! All of our traveling plans will of course depend on both of our progress with school.

Geaux Tigers!

No comments:

Post a Comment