Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Blizzard 2015

Getting used to living in New England made it inevitable that I would see a snow storm, wasn't expecting it to happen during my first winter here.
Louisiana and Alabama have taught me well, be prepared for an emergency. And our backpacking supplies serve two purposes: fun when we are in the woods and emergency readiness kit.
Onto the events here. As of this morning, I still have power, heat, and water.
It's hard to tell how much snow fell since the winds are so strong that we have drifting snow.
This is my living room window (my living room is above the garage) and I have snow on the window sill.
 
Look at the third level window on my neighbors' place - see what I mean by blowing snow?

I know the meaning of being snowed in. There is snow outside my front, basement, and garage doors, around 2 ft, more in some places, less in others. The basement door can be cracked, pushing the foot of snow out of the way so I can take pictures.
 















 More snow pictures. Look at the cars: they are not covered but you can see the snow level by their tires.







 

There was no snow on these trash cans before the snow started. I would say there's about 18-19 inches. Look on the right picture, you can see the snow still going up on the right (still because of the wind)

















I checked the back door and if I want to shovel, this would be the way to go (about 8 inches under a covered porch).
Then, there was this: my neighbors' backdoor. It is likely that high winds blew the doors open, and there is snow leading to the basement. Boy, I can't wait to see my heating bill.
I'm doing okay. I have supplies, and power. Our office is closed but we are expected to work from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment