Monday, March 11, 2013

March Madness

I think 2013 will be the year of recaps.
I was out of town for a few days for a conference in Atlanta. I was able to attend the talk about the Mississippi Baby that was "cured" of HIV (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2013/03/first-baby-cured-of-hiv.html). I met a whole bunch of people and had some fabulous meals. My hotel room was about a block from the conference center and had a view of the Olympic park. It was fun to watch the snow flurries on Saturday and Sunday.
This medium sized conference (~4,000 people) was very clinical, which is different from my basic sciences training. I started having a cold on Tuesday and by Wednesday I was feeling so miserable that I packed up and after lunch, headed back to Birmingham. Can you tell that the theme of 2013, is another day, another illness?
Thursday was spent at home and with some relief from my every four hour dose of medication, I was able to tackle a few wedding projects.
The rest of the week/weekend went by at a slow pace. We have a new member in our lab and I had to move my desk - I'm no longer sitting next to the nitrogen tanks which would startle me every now and then when it was time to vent.
Saturday was a relaxing day and we managed to make it to Melissa's - her husband Matt had enlisted a few of us to throw her a surprise birthday party. Sunday was a recovery day still and I decided that I didn't like the time change. I had a nice long talk with my family, oh how I love Skype! Oh, and I must have been more tired than I knew, I kept falling asleep on the couch.
Finally, today is a dark and wet day. I have a big personal to do list, including groceries, chores, and crafts.

For March, I'm
Excited: seeing family and friends soon
Worried: upcoming deadlines, wedding prep
Watching: Revenge, Scandal, Body of Proof, the Taste, Kitchen Nightmare
Reading: nothing in particular
Listening to: nothing in particular
Creating:  wedding crafts
Cooking: Crockpot meals and hopefully a few Jacques Pepin recipes
Loving: hot tea
Thinking: about a few relatives who are not doing too well
Looking forward to: not being sick

No comments:

Post a Comment