Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

For some reason, we have been using our slow cooker more frequently than usual, as in three times in two weeks.
The first time, Tom made a shredded BBQ dish, served on buns. I forgot to take pictures. We had enough to make leftover wraps.
The second time, Wednesday, I stayed at home because of a migraine and threw some lentils in. I made it with most of the regular ingredients for a Mauritian lentil soup: carrots, chopped onions, thyme. I didn't have what we call curry leaf (it's almost like a bay leaf) or parsley. I usually make this in the pressure cooker but that day I decided to put it in the slow cooker and 5 hours later, Mauritian comfort food. And by that time, I could eat.
 
The third time, Saturday, I made garlic honey chicken, with broccoli and other stir fry veggies. While this was cooking, I ran my errands and finished a few crafts (more on this later).

On top of Crock Pot cooking, I've been feeling pretty inspired. Maybe my gift subscription to Everyday Food (thanks Laura!) is to blame.
I made Italian turkey meatballs, with and without cheese. Baked them, let them cool, and froze them for a quick meal later, while the chicken dish was baking.
Lemon rosemary baked chicken, roasted acorn squash with brown sugar, baked potatoes, tomatoes (from the garden) and mushrooms.
We had leftover buns from Tom's BBQ dish, so I made turkey burgers.

 Last night, we had shrimp poboys, with cocktail sauce and spicy mustard.









We also had more peppers, which meant pickling time. 
Tonight's supper: Spaghetti with turkey meatballs in marinara sauce, with maybe some cheesy garlic bread. I cooked shredded carrots and onions then added some reserved pasta water, and stirred in jarred pasta sauce. Then I added the frozen turkey meatballs and simmered while I wrote this blog post :)

I think one thing that I found out and really like, is making fresh breadcrumbs. I put a few slices of our regular honey wheat bread in the mini food processor and added it to the turkey meatballs. I did the same for the burgers. For the shrimp, I lightly toasted the bread before processing.
I expect more slow cooker meals coming soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment