This past Saturday, Tom and I went for a 3.5 mile long hike at Oak Mountain. It felt good to be outdoors again. We decided to go all out and have a date night in.
We picked yummy cheeses with a crisp white wine (Rhine wine) and white Zinfandel.
From left to right, goat cheese, Morel mushroom and leek Monterey Jack cheese, and extra sharp cheddar cheese.
Tom made perfectly cooked steaks while I made mashed potatoes, garlic mushrooms, and garlic sourdough grilled bread. We also picked Otter Paws ice cream (with caramel and chocolate covered pecans).
On Sunday, I finally found pectin and used a coupon to buy mason jars. The results: pepper jelly. I wasn't sure whether to strain or not, so I went without. This is very good - sweet and spicy. Would go well as a topping for cream cheese dip or with a creamy cheese on a cracker.
Used all the peppers in the back bowl, one large green pepper and a few more peppers from the garden. Final result:
These are cooked and heat processed and should be good unopened for one year. Maybe Christmas gifts? With a cute red ribbon?
Finally, last night I turned leftover mashed potatoes into creamy potato cheese soup (with mushrooms and bacon). Unfortunately or fortunately? my $10 seven-year old Walmart immersion blender died on me. Tom was powerless against my sad face. I have a feeling that a new immersion blender might magically appear on the wedding registry or the Christmas wishlist.
We picked yummy cheeses with a crisp white wine (Rhine wine) and white Zinfandel.
From left to right, goat cheese, Morel mushroom and leek Monterey Jack cheese, and extra sharp cheddar cheese.
Tom made perfectly cooked steaks while I made mashed potatoes, garlic mushrooms, and garlic sourdough grilled bread. We also picked Otter Paws ice cream (with caramel and chocolate covered pecans).
Used all the peppers in the back bowl, one large green pepper and a few more peppers from the garden. Final result:
These are cooked and heat processed and should be good unopened for one year. Maybe Christmas gifts? With a cute red ribbon?
| I added pickled jalapenos to mine, Tom added green onion to both |

I just bought the Otter Paws ice-cream on Sunday. lol. It is yummy!
ReplyDeleteWe were thinking about making pepper jelly with our peppers! A few years ago when Tom made hot sauce from them it only produced a tiny amount for a lot of peppers. It looks like you were able to make a lot of pepper jelly!
ReplyDeleteI used the Certo liquid pectin and its recipe but instead of using 2 medium green peppers, I used one large-ish pepper and more jalapenos. Got seven full (pint-sized) jars and maybe a quarter of one jar.
ReplyDeletecorrection, I mean half pint size (like 8 oz)
Delete