Long due post on kitchen happenings in July:
For our 4th of July party, we had beer brats and hamburgers, and side dishes from our friends. We made some jalapeno poppers (picture before they went on the grill):
Tom requested that I adapt the trifle cake to something that was served when he was younger:
This started with a gluten free cake mix. After baking I sliced the cake along its height and brushed both sides with a honey syrup. Then I built the layers, cake, whipped topping, strawberries and blueberries, cake whipped topping, strawberries and blueberries. I also soaked the strawberries in the honey syrup.
It had been a long day, and after everyone left, Tom and I realized that we had barely eaten, so we made bacon cheeseburgers:
And finally, this past Friday, Tom had to present at his lab meeting. So I made some coconut cupcakes, which I frosted with Malibu buttercream. Some didn't get frosting because I somehow managed to get red food coloring speckles in it and one of Tom's labmates is allergic.
Haven't been inspired to cook much this past week. Tonight's dinner was an egg and a grilled cheese. I hope that your plates have been happier than ours.
For our 4th of July party, we had beer brats and hamburgers, and side dishes from our friends. We made some jalapeno poppers (picture before they went on the grill):
Tom requested that I adapt the trifle cake to something that was served when he was younger:
This started with a gluten free cake mix. After baking I sliced the cake along its height and brushed both sides with a honey syrup. Then I built the layers, cake, whipped topping, strawberries and blueberries, cake whipped topping, strawberries and blueberries. I also soaked the strawberries in the honey syrup.
It had been a long day, and after everyone left, Tom and I realized that we had barely eaten, so we made bacon cheeseburgers:
And finally, this past Friday, Tom had to present at his lab meeting. So I made some coconut cupcakes, which I frosted with Malibu buttercream. Some didn't get frosting because I somehow managed to get red food coloring speckles in it and one of Tom's labmates is allergic.
Haven't been inspired to cook much this past week. Tonight's dinner was an egg and a grilled cheese. I hope that your plates have been happier than ours.


No comments:
Post a Comment