Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

I've tried a few new(ish) recipes over the past few weeks.
First, we had fish sandwiches:
Coat fish in flour, then egg wash spiked with spicy mustard, then breadcrumbs. Cook in a pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil. For the bread, we used beer batter bread (recipe from Laurie). Served with steamed asparagus. Inspiration, Sarah Moulton)


We also had a cauliflower broccoli gratin; I made it for Emily's send-off party on Friday night.
Cook the chopped veggies at 375 degrees for 25 mins until tender. Transfer to a baking dish and pour over white sauce (made from a roux). Top with shredded mild cheddar and seasoned breadcrumbs (breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning, grated Parmesan cheese, and olive oil). Inspiration: Jacques Pepin


On Saturday, I followed (somewhat) a recipe from Publix. I will call it creamy baked chicken breast. Top chicken breast with a mixture of mayonnaise, grated sharp cheddar, green tabasco, and chopped green onion (from the garden). Bake chicken at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes, then broil for 2-3 minutes until the top of the chicken is golden. I served it with leftover gratin. Inspiration: Publix


Inspired by a dish that we had at the party on Friday, I attempted my first orzo (rice-shaped pasta) salad. I was very disappointed in Publix, since they only had one brand of orzo (which was expensive) and I couldn't find pine nuts. But the dish was so worth it. Cook the orzo according to package directions. Drain and run under cold water. Make a marinade with lemon juice, olive oil, white vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, and dried oregano. Toss orzo with marinade and add chopped yellow and red peppers, garlic and herb feta, chopped herbs (cilantro, chives, and green onion from the garden), grape tomatoes cut in half. I substituted slivered almonds for pine nuts. While prepping the peppers, I realized that I didn't like them raw. So I tossed them in the pasta cooking water when the pasta had two minutes left cooking. This dish will become a staple in the house, since it was so easy to make and oh so tasty. Tom thought it was fine as a meal, but next time, I think I will make a poached salmon, lemon pepper white fish, or Greek grilled chicken. Inspiration: Stacy



No comments:

Post a Comment