Thursday, September 8, 2011

Totally Thursday

Oh Lee, you made me very happy and sad.
The Lee that made me happy was the LSU quarterback, who on Saturday really stepped up and with an strong defense, LSU won their season opener against the Oregon Ducks. New AP poll: LSU is #2.

The Lee that kinda made me sad was the storm. On Monday, we had a lot of rain and wind. No damage to report at our house. There were a few downed trees in the neighborhood and our bell pepper plant took a beating. However, I loved Lee because of all the rain. I woke up early, and had a living room window opened listening to the rain while drinking coffee. It was wonderful. It was less wonderful when we lost power for a few minutes, and our internet for about a day or so. Some people were worse off, so we can't complain too much. Another reason to love Lee: we were in the 50s. Yesterday our weather guy said that it was warmer in Fairbanks Alaska than in Birmingham! I even wore a light sweater to go to work. Love the cooler weather. It was a much welcome break from the 100 deg. Also, since I don't like being out and about when it rains, I got a bunch of writing done at home, and currently waiting for Dr. P to give me comments on the second draft of paper 2.

The recap of the long weekend: went to work on Saturday and set up my machine for a 50 hour run. Then went to the grocery store to stock up on storm essentials: wine and beer. While at Publix, Tom asked me if I knew how to make an oxtail soup. My answer: "no, but I bet we can find a good recipe. Grab some carrots, and celery". When we got home, Tom called Grandpa Gass, who of course had a great family recipe. And the Larson-Gass connection led to a fabulous soup (took two days to make), that is our lunch and mostly dinner this week. I made beer batter bread to accompany the soup, so this week is dedicated to the Larson-Gass-Skemp family. Hot soup and cold weather = winning. Also, Johnsonville Brats were on sale at Publix, so we stocked up - we're ready for football.

One of the things that often happens at the house, is that at times our food wants are out of sync. While I've been dreaming about crab cakes for brunch, Tom wanted french toast. So I made both. We also discovered that (mayo + siracha) sauce goes really well with crab cake sandwiches.Pictures coming.

I found a new store to love in Birmingham - Christmas Tree Shops at the Galleria by World Market. It's a cheaper version of Bed Bath and Beyond (wikipedia says that it is owned by BB&B). It has everything you need for the house and I was just amazed at the gardening selection. Fall decor, you are getting a re-do this year.

Excited about: Packers vs Saints tonight. My two favorite teams go head to head. Brats cooked in beer, drink beer, watch football, and write about science = life is good.

Hope you're having a fantastic week, and Go Pack Go, and Geaux Saints!

No comments:

Post a Comment