I'm always amazed when I read Anne's savings blog. In some cases, her store total comes to $0.00! The movement picked up - I'm assuming because of the bad economy and the Internets - and there's also a TV show (Extreme Couponing on TLC; haven't seen it since I don't have cable). I had tried my hand at coupon clipping about a year ago - I'd leave the coupons at home or the coupons would sit in my coupon organizer and expire. Then a couple of weeks ago, Emily told me about her coupon exploits. According to her, it was all about patience. Collect coupons and wait for a sale, hit several stores if needed for the best deal. She had a cause - putting together a care package of different hygiene and other items for her friend and his squad in Afghanistan.
I'm more selfish that Em. If I coupon, it would be to save money, and if possible get some items for free to donate. I decided to try it again. I found my little accordion coupon holder, cleared out the expired coupons, and took stock of what I had. I bought a Sunday paper and started clipping and organizing the coupons. I checked out circulars from Publix, CVS, and Walgreens. I also found out that companies have coupons on their websites or on their Facebook page. Plus there are 3 main couponing websites. Anne often talks about CVS rewards program with ECBs (ExtraCare Bucks), so I registered my account. One example:
Last week, CVS was selling 64oz V8 splash juice (which I love) at 2 for $5. If you bought two, you got $1 in ECB. I had a $1 off coupon for V8 (from their website). I spent $4 ($4.50 with tax), but really it was $3 because of ECB. I earned my first ECB! woohoo! :)
Empowered, I took advantage of a Walgreens sale: I spent $13.24 and saved $10.98. I went back to CVS and got laundry detergent that was already on sale, and I used a $2 coupon. So I paid $2.99 (before taxes) on an item that originally would have cost $8.99. Coupons = winning.
Today before heading to lab, I stopped by CVS and used their coupon kiosk for the first time. I got a coupon for a free green leaf tag. You attach the tag to a reusable bag, and at each visit, the cashier scans the leaf tag. After 4 visits, you get 1 ECB.
After lab, I went to Publix to get a few groceries for the week and stock up on summer items that were on sale (charcoal anyone?). I left the store having spent $62.41 and saved $26.08 (mostly because I want to make a Patriotic Berry Trifle for Monday). The Sunday paper coupons made up for the $2 paper.
Coupons, yay or nay?
Yay: saving money! It's almost like a game, so if you're the competitive type...
Nay:
1. It's a lot of effort. The best way to use coupons is to collect them and stack them on sales/promotions. You have to take advantage of sales. If you really need something, there may not be a sale or a coupon. So it does take some planning and thinking ahead. I have read stories about some people who have a room stocked with groceries that were bought when they were on sale (but not needed). I can see how it would blur the line between want and need.
2. You have to be willing to visit different stores. Walgreens is between the house and Publix, and is thus just one stop. I go by CVS almost everyday because it's on the way to lab. While I saved at Walgreens, I got the worst customer service experience. The cashier was not helpful at all, and totally unprofessional. So I will stick to Publix and CVS. I don't shop at Walmart - unless I absolutely have to.
3. You have to be willing to go to the store every week. Deals are different every week at each store. I'd rather go on one giant trip and do smaller trips for perishables. Maybe the best way for this to work for me is to collect perishable coupons (mostly yogurt). Talking about perishables - why aren't there more coupons for fresh produce? I will make up this number, but it feels as if for every 100 coupons I clip, there is only 1 on fresh produce.
4. Most of the products that have a coupon are for processed foods. Making pizza from scratch with Tom is somewhat more fun than making Hamburger Helper. But then again, you can save on tomato sauce, flour, cheese, pepperoni etc..
5. If you use the coupon websites, you have to print the coupons and ink isn't cheap. It may be worth if the savings offset the price of ink.
6. I need to figure out if couponing and shopping at Publix and CVS is better than Costco (and Costco coupons). Is it cheaper to buy 6 cans of tomatoes at Publix, with a sale and a coupon, or at Costco? Remember, I'm not as awesome as Anne or the other experts out there.
7. Coupon clipping is cool? What if it is cheating? What about other people who are stuck in line behind you? What if stores change their policies? If more people coupon, will companies decide to release less coupons? What if...?
All in all, I will keep my coupon scissors. While some of the stuff that I have bought in the past 10 days were things that went straight into the pantry (not needed now), they are items that will be used at some point. For example, today's canola mayonnaise doesn't need to be refrigerated, and is good until March 2012. Charcoal? I'm sure that we'll be firing up the grill soon enough.
I'm more selfish that Em. If I coupon, it would be to save money, and if possible get some items for free to donate. I decided to try it again. I found my little accordion coupon holder, cleared out the expired coupons, and took stock of what I had. I bought a Sunday paper and started clipping and organizing the coupons. I checked out circulars from Publix, CVS, and Walgreens. I also found out that companies have coupons on their websites or on their Facebook page. Plus there are 3 main couponing websites. Anne often talks about CVS rewards program with ECBs (ExtraCare Bucks), so I registered my account. One example:
Last week, CVS was selling 64oz V8 splash juice (which I love) at 2 for $5. If you bought two, you got $1 in ECB. I had a $1 off coupon for V8 (from their website). I spent $4 ($4.50 with tax), but really it was $3 because of ECB. I earned my first ECB! woohoo! :)
Empowered, I took advantage of a Walgreens sale: I spent $13.24 and saved $10.98. I went back to CVS and got laundry detergent that was already on sale, and I used a $2 coupon. So I paid $2.99 (before taxes) on an item that originally would have cost $8.99. Coupons = winning.
Today before heading to lab, I stopped by CVS and used their coupon kiosk for the first time. I got a coupon for a free green leaf tag. You attach the tag to a reusable bag, and at each visit, the cashier scans the leaf tag. After 4 visits, you get 1 ECB.
After lab, I went to Publix to get a few groceries for the week and stock up on summer items that were on sale (charcoal anyone?). I left the store having spent $62.41 and saved $26.08 (mostly because I want to make a Patriotic Berry Trifle for Monday). The Sunday paper coupons made up for the $2 paper.
Coupons, yay or nay?
Yay: saving money! It's almost like a game, so if you're the competitive type...
Nay:
1. It's a lot of effort. The best way to use coupons is to collect them and stack them on sales/promotions. You have to take advantage of sales. If you really need something, there may not be a sale or a coupon. So it does take some planning and thinking ahead. I have read stories about some people who have a room stocked with groceries that were bought when they were on sale (but not needed). I can see how it would blur the line between want and need.
2. You have to be willing to visit different stores. Walgreens is between the house and Publix, and is thus just one stop. I go by CVS almost everyday because it's on the way to lab. While I saved at Walgreens, I got the worst customer service experience. The cashier was not helpful at all, and totally unprofessional. So I will stick to Publix and CVS. I don't shop at Walmart - unless I absolutely have to.
3. You have to be willing to go to the store every week. Deals are different every week at each store. I'd rather go on one giant trip and do smaller trips for perishables. Maybe the best way for this to work for me is to collect perishable coupons (mostly yogurt). Talking about perishables - why aren't there more coupons for fresh produce? I will make up this number, but it feels as if for every 100 coupons I clip, there is only 1 on fresh produce.
4. Most of the products that have a coupon are for processed foods. Making pizza from scratch with Tom is somewhat more fun than making Hamburger Helper. But then again, you can save on tomato sauce, flour, cheese, pepperoni etc..
5. If you use the coupon websites, you have to print the coupons and ink isn't cheap. It may be worth if the savings offset the price of ink.
6. I need to figure out if couponing and shopping at Publix and CVS is better than Costco (and Costco coupons). Is it cheaper to buy 6 cans of tomatoes at Publix, with a sale and a coupon, or at Costco? Remember, I'm not as awesome as Anne or the other experts out there.
7. Coupon clipping is cool? What if it is cheating? What about other people who are stuck in line behind you? What if stores change their policies? If more people coupon, will companies decide to release less coupons? What if...?
All in all, I will keep my coupon scissors. While some of the stuff that I have bought in the past 10 days were things that went straight into the pantry (not needed now), they are items that will be used at some point. For example, today's canola mayonnaise doesn't need to be refrigerated, and is good until March 2012. Charcoal? I'm sure that we'll be firing up the grill soon enough.

I couldn't agree more with your choices of Publix and CVS! They are definitely the most coupon friendly stores out of the bunch. Walgreens is awful...I only go there if something is practically free...and always prepare myself for a miserable experience. Then when everything actually goes how it should, it's a pleasant suprise :)
ReplyDeleteKeep up the couponing...even if you only do a little at a time, it's still fun to save money!